T he beginning of what is now the Williamson-White Funeral Home and Cremation Services began in 1888 with John G. Burman. He came to this country from Smoland, Sweden and opened up a furniture and hardware operation in the early days of the Amery community. As an Amery merchant, he sold funeral goods in his store, however at that time it was up to the neighbors to take care of all other funeral arrangements.
As the demand for the services of an undertaker grew, Charles W. Stenberg (who married John G. Burman's sister Marie), attended the Johnson School of Embalming and received his formal training as an undertaker. In 1912, Charles assumed ownership of the funeral and furniture operation, serving his community until 1943. He saw the funeral business through the transition from the horse and buggy days to the first motorized hearse. Charles was joined in 1937 by his son Alvin who received his training from the University of Minnesota in 1925. Before joining his father, Alvin had operated a funeral home and hardware store in Luck and Milltown.
In 1943, Al Stenberg and Chet Burke formed a partnership and purchased the interests of Charles Stenberg. They continued to operate the funeral home and furniture store on Amery's Main Street until 1960 when the present mortuary was built on the corner of Maple Street and Harriman Avenue. In 1953 Al bought out the interests of Chet Burke and the funeral home became known as Stenberg Funeral Home. In 1950, Bob Williamson (who married Al's daughter Marie) joined the funeral home and ambulance service, after receiving his training from the University of Minnesota.
After moving to their new location in 1960, they continued to operate the furniture business until 1963 when it was sold to Anderson-McLaughlin. In 1966 the ambulance business was turned over to the city of Amery and Bob purchased the interests of Al Stenberg. In 1974, the funeral operation expanded into Clayton with the purchase of the Borchert Funeral Home in that community. In 1975, Bob's son Chuck finished his training at the University of Minnesota and joined his father in the family business. He was followed by his brother Lou who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1977. In 1979, the business was incorporated under the name of Williamson Funeral Home, Inc.
In 1986, Chuck and his brother Lou purchased the interests from their father Bob. Chuck and Lou continued to operate the funeral home together until Lou's departure in October of 2001 to pursue a career in teaching. In January of 2002, Ed White joined Chuck Williamson as a funeral director at the Williamson Funeral Home. Ed continued to work with Chuck and in 2007 they formed a partnership that is now known as Williamson-White Funeral Home and Cremation Services.
The funeral home takes pride in serving the Amery and surrounding communities since its inception in 1888. We look forward to providing quality funeral services to the families that we serve for many years to come.